Sometimes an amazing night can consist of a face mask in comfy PJ’s with The Real Housewives of Orange County (Always go for the OG’s ) D.I.Y. face masks are my favorite to whip up on nights like those. I love how simple and affordable they are. Also, you get the piece of mind that you are putting whole ingredients on your skin, instead of harsh chemicals. I love to research different ingredients and how they can benefit my skin. One of my go-to ingredients is egg whites. While they can get a bit smelly, they’re packed with goodness for your skin.
Why Egg Whites?
- Proteins – Promote tissue repair and promotes strong, wrinkle-free skin.
- Potassium – Hydrates, moisturizes and preserves moisture in skin cells.
- Riboflavin – Eliminates toxic and cell-damaging free radicals that create wrinkles.
- Magnesium – Promotes youthful radiant skin by slowing down the aging process of skin.
I have listed three of my all time favorite egg white masks. Whether you have acne, acne scarring, or super parched skin, there is a mask below for you. What I love most about these masks, besides the amazing skin benefits, is that all of the ingredients you probably have in your kitchen right now.
1. Acne-Fighting Egg White Face Mask
I had extremely unpleasant acne when I was a teenager and pretty much tried every treatment under the sun. This mask was and still is one of my go to masks when my skin is misbehaving.
- Honey – Has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Also, a wonderful moisturizer and skin-lightening agent.
- Lemon Juice – Powerful astringent that fights off acne-causing bacteria. Lightens skin and reduces discoloration caused by acne-scarring.
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk together the egg white and lemon juice until the mixture becomes frothy. The lemon juice masks the odour of the egg white. Add ½ teaspoon of honey and stir well.
- Wash your face with warm water to open up your pores. Using clean hands or a cotton ball, apply the mixture onto your face, avoiding the sensitive areas around your mouth and eyes.
- Relax yourself as you wait for the mixture to settle and dry on your face. You can lie down and breathe deeply, thinking happy thoughts!
- Keep the mask on for 10-15 minutes. When the mixture has completely dried on your face, gently scrub it off using warm water, tackling all areas of your face in a circular motion. Pat dry with a towel and marvel at the smooth feel of your skin!
- When applying the mixture, work upwards from your chin to your cheeks and then to your forehead using a gentle circular motion.
- Avoid the sensitive areas around the eyes and mouth. The skin in those areas is drier and, if stretched by this tightening mask, can become wrinkled.
- This wonderful mask is very effective in getting rid of excess face oils. If you have dry skin, please refrain from using this drying and tightening face mask.
2. Skin-Lightening Egg White Face Mask
Because of my acne, I was left with hyper pigmentation, or acne-scars. I tried so many products to help me lighten the appearance of my dark spot and saw no results. This mask, however, helped me get my skin to where it is now.
- Turmeric – Reduces dark spots caused by acne and evens out discolorations.
- Orange Juice – Tones skin.
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Place the egg white and orange juice in a small mixing bowl and whisk until it becomes frothy.
- Add in turmeric powder and mix thoroughly. Make sure the mixture is not too drippy.
- Using clean hands, apply the mixture to your face and massage in a circular motion, allowing it to sink deep into your skin. Keep it on for 15 minutes while you lie down to prevent gravity from pulling the mask downward.
- When the time is up, gently scrub off the dried mask from your face and apply moisturizer. A perfect natural moisturizer is 3-4 drops of olive oil.
- Wear an old t-shirt over your clothes to prevent yellow stains from turmeric, which can be really hard to wash off.
- This egg white mask can be quite drying, so it’s best to apply olive oil to your skin after washing it off.
- Refrain from talking or smiling with the mask on because stretching the tight skin may cause wrinkles to appear.
3. Hydrating Egg White Face Mask
My skin is oily in my t-zone, which is perfect for the two masks above. However, my cheek area and around my jaw is prone to dry skin. This mask is perfect for anyone with dry skin or prone to dry patches.
- Avocado – Hydrates and moisturizes skin, creating a youthful glow.
- Yogurt – Contains live cultures, which eliminate acne-causing bacteria. Nourishes dry, flaky skin, back into soft, supple, and youthful skin.
- 1 egg white
- ¼ ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon yogurt
- Using a fork, mash the avocado until it turns into a lump-free paste.
- Add the egg white and yogurt and mix well.
- Apply a thick coat of the mixture onto your face with clean fingers and sit for about 15 minutes.
- Wash off the mask with lukewarm water when the time is up, and pat your face dry with a towel. Enjoy the look of your moisturized skin!
- Use a ripe avocado so that it is easier to mash it into a lump-free paste. You can also freeze, then thaw it before mashing to make things easier. If you have a blender, use it instead of a fork to quickly and efficiently blend the avocado into a lump-free puree.
- Use plain, unsweetened yogurt with live cultures when making this face mask.
- To avoid a drippy mess, ensure that you apply the face mask over your bathroom or kitchen sink.
If you try any of the face masks, comment down below and let me know how they worked for you – I would love to hear your thoughts. Until next time my Wild Pretty Things.